Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Life is what happens

 Life is what happens:

At 3 in the morning my mind won't relax
My thoughts race amok in my mind on one track
Caught in the headlights of my future so bright
I'm paralyzed and won't move, frozen in fright.
Day in and day out, stuck in routine,
strolling the halls of, "what might have been."
I can see the promise of what lies in store
If only I had courage to walk out my door.
So safe in my room each day I hide,
trying to learn to take it in stride
Because, life is what happens without our consent
Time has no conscience, it doesn't relent.
I sift through the bullshit to find what is real
The currency that matters is one you can't steal.
At 3 in the morning, I'm anywhere but here
I'm lost in the night, dancing with fear.
Life isn't happening, it's caught in stasis.
I shouldn't be here, I know where my place is.
(c) Pamela McAfee 5/17/2013 (at 3 in the morning)

No comments:

Post a Comment