Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Store In A Dark Place

The bottle says, "Store in a dark place."
This may affect your sense of taste.
"This stuff tastes bad," I say with a frown.
"A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."
You have to take it to make you well.
But drugs can't cure my kind of hell.
My body fights its private war.
But my soul is broken to the core.
Injuries sustained in my past
are holding on, built to last.
The pains that were never revealed
Can never begin to be healed
Because they are stored in a dark, dark, place
Where my monsters all have chased
The little girl who learned to crawl
under covers and curl into a ball.
And there it is I cannot hide
from the monsters deep inside.
When the monster, very real,
slides his hand up to feel,
That part of you he should not touch
it scares a child very much.
But it's not what that monster did
That ruined this little kid.
It was the ones I had to trust
who looked at me with disgust
for making up such hurtful lies
They turned their heads and shut their eyes
In a blink my deed transformed
me to the harmer from the harmed.
An ugly creature to be shunned
for the evil I have done.
Innocent falls off me like a cloak.
On words unsaid, I do choke.
A tainted and a damaged child
Not to be loved, but reviled.
Unwelcome to be in your space,
I learn to hide in my dark, dark place.
And when I feel a little brave
And as long as I can behave
I pretend that I'm like you.
Because I know what is true.
Monsters look like me and you
You can look them in the face
they slip on by without a trace
Because no one listens in the dark, dark, place





No comments:

Post a Comment